Somebody ( Let’s call him John) got my number from facebook and texted me on WhatsApp. He asked if we could be friends as he feels empty, he has a void and only a friend can fill it. Maybe I seem approachable on facebook (which I doubt) or I have it all figured it out, I don’t know.
While I partially agree that friends give you security, shoulders to lean on, and some sort of confidence in yourself as there is something that attracts you to them, you are bound to get very disappointed if someone has to fill that void.
While soulmates/spouses can help settle the need for stability and security and maybe cover that void, it is still there. In my opinion and little experience I have in this race, only Jesus can fill that void. You are a creation of God, and until you submit to His will, you are never fully at ease, you will always hear the voice and call of your creator, a little poking of some sort.
People will disappoint you if you trust them, not because they are evil, but because it’s our nature and cursed is the man who trust upon a fellow man Jeremiah17:5
Friends are great as iron sharpens iron Proverbs 27:17 and two are better than one as thy get good reward for their toil Ecclesiastes4:9-12 but A man of many companions may come to ruin but there is a friend(Jesus) who sticks closer than a brother Proverbs18:24.
Furthermore, when we feel that void, everything becomes purposeless, tasteless and meaningless. Some few ways to rise from this that worked for me are:
- Slow soft rock music before I became saved which worked in the shortrun and now that I am saved and know better I listen to gospel music before I start the day.Though I still listen to some bongo and taarab.
- Dedicate my day to God and I find that I chieve so much in so little time.
- Keep short term goals and strive to achieve them.
- Do not compare yourself to others, comparison is the death of joy.
- Wake up early, thus you are more clearheaded and jump-start the day.
- Strive to read a book, thus you build yourself. You only have much to offer as you invest and put in yourself.
- The atmost pinnacle of feeling whole is being saved, you might not be perfect as you strive to be but Jesus knew what He was getting into when He took your sins on the cross, thus come as you are.
Doing the above you’ll be so busy to start looking for what could be missing.
Listening to: Rise by Danny Gowky. Yeah, in that brokenness, you hear the call of your Creator, You were made for more unlock the door.